SQLite is a RDBMS which is used excessively these days. SQLite is not a client-server database engine; rather it is embedded into the end program. SQLite is widely supported by various browsers, embedded systems, operating systems and many other applications. It is best suited for open-source and embedded database program for local/client storage in application software.Further there may be corruption or malformation in SQLite database and there are different ways for SQLite database getting corrupted over time. This can lead to delay in transactions and land a user in inaccessible mode. This post discusses methods to fix SQLite database corruption. It explains what the reasons for SQLite database file corruption are and mentions some efficient recovery methods for getting rid from SQLite malformed database. These are simple solutions which can be used by anyone.
As SQLite is an open source open source application, it doesn’t utilize any particular file extension. Due to its complex file structure, it often results in SQLite database corruption. SQLite database getting corrupted means all its data becomes inaccessible to a user.
Some of the reasons related to corruption reported by SQLite on database are listed below:
File Overwriting Issues
Just like other files, Overwriting is also possible in SQLite files. Further several issues my arise such which leads to SQLite malformed database.
- Running of file descriptor– SQLite may lead to various overwriting issues, with regular opening and closing of a file hence the user may face SQLite database corruption.
- Restoration of data while a transaction is in progress– While taking any backup at the back-end of the system, may also generate the backup of SQLite database. As the current transaction is not completed yet so the backup work will automatically save some of the logs of the previous state and some logs of earlier transactions SQLite malformed database. And this may lead to an incompatibility of the ID of the transaction and thus there is corruption reported by SQLite on database.
- Deletion of Hot journal– SQLite often make use of auxiliary journal files (that is similar supporting name of the database) for retrieving database files. Even if the user tries to delete, rename, or move these journal files from their actual location, then the Server fails to find them and corruption is reported by SQLite on database. And consequently, one can’t automatically complete the database recovery from SQLite malformed database.
Issues related to File Locking Causing SQLite Database File Corruption
One of the exciting feature offered by SQLite is File locking. through which a user can lock the files of the database. Sometimes many undesirable changes take place while working with two different processes which ultimately cause SQLite database corruption.
- Lock Details Missing leading to SQLite database file corrupt – File-system is one of the most authentic source to lock the file information. Due to many bugs in SQLite database which are difficult to resolve, the locks feature don’t continually behave like as they’re speculated to. Thus, it may lead to SQLite database corruption because of the missing file unit.
- Cancelling POSIX advisory lock: If a user is using or running SQLite application, then he/she must be aware that it is a default protection mechanism which is employed by SQLite and helps in running on OS platforms. The application is built in such a manner that it may be misused and makes SQLite database file corrupt. Further, corruption happens mainly because of the system call, close(), which frequently disturbs this locking action of the data files and may lead to SQLite database file corrupt. IF multiple copies are attached then there may be a SQLite malformed database.
- SQLite database getting corrupted by contradiction of two different protocols: SQLite is handled by two different protocols mainly, SQLite 3_Vfs and SQLite3_ Open_v2(). However, if both the protocols are used at the same time then you will face the problem of contradiction and also lead to SQLite database file corruption.
- Many links to the similar files: If multiple files are attached with the same network then this may also result SQLite database corruption.
Database Synchronization Failure Leading to SQLite Database File Corruption
Sometimes, improper functioning sync command acts as obstacle despite making the syncopation and this may also lead to SQLite database corruption. This process is called the VIOLATION OF acid property.
SQLite Database Getting Corrupted by the Failure of Storage Media
Any unforeseen changes in data /content of hard drive of any other file may increase the level of corruption causing SQLite database file corrupt. Further, if SQLite there is shortage of storage space then it may also lead to SQLite database corruption.
Methods to Fix Corruption Reported in SQLite Database
Corruption in SQLite database can cause permanent loss of data files and user won’t be able to open SQLite malformed database until and unless the file is repaired. Two different types of processes available for recovering SQLite database.
Fix SQLite Malformed Database Manually
Step 1: Launch the Database browser for SQLite on the computer. Then to start the database check in command press Execute tab of SQL.
Step 2: Now write PRAGMA integrity check in the command prompt and then press the Play button.
Note: As there is corruption reported by SQLite on database then the user may see such error message(s).
Step 3: Now press the File button on the taskbar. Take the cursor to the Export options and then press on SQL file.
Step 4: Press On the Export SQL dialogue box, choose the objects which you want to export from SQLite malformed database. However, you can also select other options as well to export the objects.
Step 5: Now, you can import the database file and tick to the Import options and click Database from SQL file. This will resolve the corruption reported by SQLite on database of minor issues.
Alternative Tool to Resolve SQLite Database Corruption:
Now if the level of corruption of SQLite malformed database is severe, and the manual method is not working then in this condition a professional recovery solution is preferred for the corruption reported by SQLite on database. SQLite Database Recovery Tool works as a great solution for protecting the data. The software successfully recovers and restore all the issues of SQLite malformed database at a competitive price.
This above blog summarizes information regarding the common issues related SQLite Database corruption. The blog also describes the best way to resolve the SQLite malformed database along with the reasons that cause this error to come up.