A homestay is certainly a great way of saving money when you wish to spend time with your loved ones. Endless opportunities are always on your way when you select a homestay instead of a hotel. But, before you book a suite, ensure that you have got in touch with a reputable agency and you have got all your questions answered.
Tips for Choosing a Homestay
- Before you approach an agency, you should surf the internet and check out the website. The best agency is considered when the customers have given high ratings. You could also rely on the agency if it offers services to families in and around your locality.
- If you are unable to gather information from the website, then try contacting the chamber of commerce or the tourism board. As you connect with the individual, the entities would be able to offer a list of homestays across the region you prefer.
- If you are planning to book the homestay through a website or an online agency, then you should always go through the online reviews. As you scroll the web page, you should pay attention to bad reviews. After reading the reviews, you would get an idea of the experiences and what others have said about the host.
- Before you book a suite, it’s always better to ask for references. In case the booking agency doesn’t have a built-in review system, then you should be smart in gathering the contact details of former guests. Rather than relying on written reviews through an email, you should contact the guests all by yourself.
- If you have friends who have visited the destination, then it’s better to have a face to face conversation. As you are chatting with them, you could know more about the homestays and seek suggestions. After all, social networking can help you to seek the best travel homestay.
- Visit the school if you are a student seeking a homestay. While the study board department connects you with the students, you would know what to do next before traveling to the destination of your choice.
Questions You Need To Ask
When you are communicating with the host, you shouldn’t forget to ask certain questions.
- Check whether the location has the basic amenities. It could either be an air conditioner inside the rooms or the type of shower. Besides, you should always make sure if animals are allowed inside the property. Such a question may pop in your mind if you are thinking to take your pet along with your family members.
- Before you finalize the plan, you should ask questions related to the sleeping arrangements. Getting a clear idea of where you are going to sleep can actually let you decide if the homestay is suitable. If it’s possible, you can insist the host to send a few photographs through an email. Do also ensure that the room is a secure place for keeping your luggage and belongings.
- Before you make up your mind, ask the host if meals are provided till the time they check-out. In case you are following a diet, then check for meals as per your needs.
- While you are residing at the location, it is important to know whether the services offer an access to the internet or the telephone. In case there isn’t any access, then you have to figure out the nearest place from where you can make a call.
- Before disconnecting the call, it’s important to know the mode of transportation. If you won’t be driving a vehicle, then get an idea of how far the airport is from the property. Moving ahead, you should also know if you can reach the location by taking a cab.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
- Since your host would be serving you as a guest, you shouldn’t forget asking about the rules. Depending on the accommodation, you may even have to lend a helping hand when an individual is cooking food or cleaning the room.
- Never forget to read contracts before signing. As you go through the terms, you should pay attention to the clauses that might bring in disappointment. If the information is not included in the multi-page document, then you should speak with the host and ask him to make amendments.
- Never pay advance unless and until you have read reviews and have gone through numerous photographs. If the host asks you to do so, then you can pay the deposit at a later instance and the balance amount soon after you reach.
- Never overlook safety when you are visiting the property for the first time. For instance, you shouldn’t book a suite if the property is quite far away from the airport, bus depot, and the railway station. In case you are a lady, then you shouldn’t consider an accommodation managed by a male host. On the other hand, you need to think twice if the property is nestled in a dense jungle.
- Finally, you should always follow your instinct if the location seems unsafe. You should then ask the host to pay back the deposit immediately. Once you are done with the formalities, you must always search for a hotel that you can actually afford.
Before we conclude, you should always realize the benefits of settling in a homestay. As compared to a hotel, it’s inexpensive to book rooms at the homestay. You can also expect an incentive if you are planning to come back again on the next trip.
Once you are at the homestay, you would always get to know about the culture. This is something you can afford when you’re having sumptuous meals. Moreover, you can save money on the arrangements after you start interacting with the host. This might not be the situation when you are thinking about staying in the hotel.
If you value privacy, then your decision of booking a homestay might be inappropriate. Ideally, you should book a room only if you are going to for three to four days.