Being a homeowner entails great responsibility. Most of the time most homeowners take their roof for granted. They neglect the repairs and maintenance of their roof because they are hardly visible to the eye- more like the out of sight out of mind syndrome. Moreover, most homeowners believe they can spot a problem on their roof and resolve the issue themselves; however, this is not true!
No matter how old a homeowner you are, there will be errors when it comes to spotting a roofing issue. For this reason, you need experts with skills and experience in roofing projects to come and help you out. They have a precise understanding of the problem and correctly resolve your roofing issues. If you hire these roofing experts to go to your home and inspect the condition of your roof, you will be doing your house a great favor!
What are the most common problems with your roof?
Experts from credible roofing companies say the everyday problems of your roof are as follows-
- Maintenance- Lack of looking after your roof is one of the most common problems homeowners face today. As a homeowner, you should schedule a regular roof checkup annually. Get professional inspections done by credible roofing experts known for their skills in the area. This inspection must be done after a storm as well. Experts from esteemed roofing companies add the signs of a poorly maintained roof are large holes, the presence of mildew and sagging.
- Lack of repairs- This is one of the biggest mistakes homeowners do when it comes to looking after their roof. Repairs to your roof are unavoidable. In fact, the sad news is you cannot do anything to avert repairs. However, what you can do is hire a reputed roofing specialist to help you repair your roof correctly. Always take caution and select your roofing expert with time and research. There are shady companies with professionals who are not skilled at roof repairs. Avoid them. Go in for reputed roofing experts that have years of reputation and experience for repairing your roof.
- Storm damage- Storm damages your roof. No matter what the season is, you should always get an immediate inspection done after a storm. Heavy winds, rain, hail, lightning and broken branches cause damage to your roof. Make sure you immediately call qualified roofing specialists to check your roof. You do not wish to pay for expenses out of your pocket if you are too late with the insurance claim window.
- Leaks- Like storms, you cannot prevent roof leaks from happening. No matter what kind of roof you have, leaks will occur, and you need to fix them. Remember, your roof protects your home, and it is like the lid placed on top of a container. If you have leaks on your lid, your container will become wet. It is prudent to ensure your home is dry and the entire roof is free from leaks. Once you detect a leak, you need to be proactive and fix it on time. It reduces the damage. Leaks can occur due to a number of reasons. You need to detect them early and carry out repairs as soon as possible.
- Moisture- Moisture sans a leak is not dangerous however it does lead to the accumulation of mildew and mold. Moisture must be addressed instantly as it often spreads to the wall and poses a significant threat to the whole structure of the home.
- Installation- Poor installation and bad repair work by unprofessional roofing contractors are the prime reasons why homeowners face roofing problems today. Most homeowners dread the costs of installation and repairs. They bank on not-so-professional roofing companies only to pay the price in the long run. You will find that it often takes many years for you to identify an issue. However, once this issue is detected, it is too late for you to fix it. If the damage is bad, you need to replace the roof entirely.
What is the solution?
One of the best ways for you to prevent damage to your roof is to work with reliable companies. Experts like Prcroofingpro state that you should always hire a company with experience and proven track records. The experts should be skilled in modern technologies and repair techniques. The company should be insured and licensed. So, take time and check their ratings online with the Better Business Bureau. If you can ask for credible references or speak to someone, who has knowledge in the field to help you find a trustworthy company. Better still; find someone that has worked with the same company to get a first-hand account of the quality of their services. Last but not the least; ensure the company has good standing with the Better Business Bureau.
Expert tips to protect your roof against weather elements
The roof of your home is one of the largest investments you make in your life. This is because roofs protect your home and loved ones from danger. Dangerous weather elements can cause havoc to your roof. Wind, snow, hail, and rain are the primary culprits when it comes to damaging your roof. There are several roofing materials available in the market. They have the onus of protecting your roof from dangerous weather elements. They protect both the interior and the exterior of your home.
Winter- guard for the roof
Snow and rain are the primary culprits when it comes to damaging your roof in winter. However, experts from credible roofing company state there are inexpensive and quick ways via which you can protect the construction of your roof. There are materials like asphalt, metal, wood, slate, and others that protect your roof from dangerous weather elements. Professionals say elastomeric painting helps you to preserve the life of the materials you use to protect your roof. This painting reduces the costs of energy as well and can be used for different textures. Elastomeric painting is affordable and flexible. It is waterproof and protects the materials you use for your roof. You can reduce repairs and replacements when you paint your roof.
Always inspect your roof
You should always check your roof before starting any work. Call in professional experts to take a look at your roof before they commence any work. Ask them to give you a detailed report on the condition of your roof. Good companies will provide you with information on minute details like drip edges, chimney condition, vents, ridges, etc. They will also mention the status of the drainage system of the gutters in the roof.
Experienced companies will also provide you with a roof certification. It means your roof needs repairs. In case, the roof does not need repairs, and you still will get an estimate on the life of the roof. Expert companies say these roofing certifications last for five years or so.
Specialists in the field say roof repairing is needed when it no longer functions at 100%. There are several reasons as to why roofs have to be repaired. No matter its type, a roof needs to be fixed immediately for weather protection, maintenance, damage by wind or storm. Roofs are generally built to withstand tornadoes. Heavy winds from hurricanes and tornadoes are responsible for damaging the roof. The air that comes from these winds pushes the roof assembly from below. It makes the fasteners lose and with the passage of time the adhesion breaks.
Always repair damaged roofs
You should always repair damaged roofs. If the damage of the roof is too much, you need to replace it in whole. Ensure the roof is repaired by professional experts that have the skills, qualifications, and experience in the field. They should rebuild the roof in such a way that no further damage is done. No matter what the season is, you need to fix your roof immediately. Winter is the time when the snow melts to water and causes leaks. Arrest this problem immediately with credible roofing companies that care for your home as much as you do.
When you decide to repair the roof on your own, make sure you keep all roofing materials in a cool and dry place. Cement or roofing tar might be needed for the roof especially when you are involved in roofing projects for the cold weather.
If you wish to accelerate roofing work, choose the warm weather. Note that like the rain, the sun can damage the roof of your home. It will dry out the shingles and to protect your roof, use radiant barriers, clay, green roofs and slat tiles. The radiant barriers are called overlays. They are a coating for your roof to reflect heat. They are effective in reducing energy costs for your home.
Last but not the least; ensure roofing companies use proper tools. Choose companies that have many years of service to homeowners in the area. They will know what your needs are and repair your roof in the precise way to protect it from weather elements and leaks!
Trudy is a Home Decor Expert. He is very responsible towards his job. He loves to share his knowledge and experience with his friends and colleagues.