Be it the torrid summer or the chilly winter, one or the other kind of pests will always find their way to invade your home. In the winter season, certain pests go for hibernation while few pests such as rats, raccoons, and residential cockroaches enter homes in search of warmth and food. Whereas in summers, bed bugs, termites, ants, spiders, etc. are the common pests that you encounter.
No matter what season and no matter what kind, pests are detrimental to our health and property.
How pests can affect your health and wealth
Effects on your property
- According to the Professional Pest Management Alliance, it is estimated that termites and other insects have caused $5 billion of property damage. Most of the insurance companies do not cover the price of damage. Hence it is important to have a pest inspection done on time.
- Rodents, especially rats and mice, cause structural harm to houses, offices, buildings, etc. As mouse will chew anything that they find useful in making their nest. It can be wood, paper, furniture, cloth, wire, etc.
Effects on your health
- Rats and mice are very unhealthy and harmful pests. They contaminate the house premises while searching for food. Throughout their path, they leave behind 3000 microdroplets of urine causing a build-up of bacteria and viruses. This results in diseases such as E.coli, salmonella, murine typhus, etc.
- Bed bugs are undesirable pests carrying disease along with them.
- In one research, it is found that children raised in homes containing German cockroaches are more likely to develop allergies and asthma.
Before these irritating pests make your day to day life miserable and damage your home structure, you need to take stern steps to prevent them from spreading. You can try DIY remedies to fix the problem by yourself or call a professional pest control service to prevent them from damaging your home.
Prevention is key here.
Here are a few simple and effective tips to keep your home pest-free:
- Tree trimming to prevent the entry of pests: Make sure to trim the bushes or branches of trees coming to your house. This might be a tedious job but an effective one. Pests like termites, ants, and spiders mostly stay in trees. If one branch of a tree grows to your room, it becomes easy for insects to access your home.
- Keep clutter and litter away: Unwanted clutter allows pests to procreate and hide, making it difficult to find their presence. So, it is better to keep patios, yards, decks, carports, etc. free from junk and useless stuff.
- Clear out still water: Stagnant water is home to the breeding of mosquitoes. Check and don’t let water get accumulated anywhere in your house, especially in tubs, sink, laundry rooms, house plants, etc. Inspect for leaky plumbing areas and air conditioning units and fix them.
- Seal cracks: Shut off the small places where pests can stay and multiply. Pay attention to the cracks and holes created in the interior and exterior of your house. Mice just need a small space to penetrate from a hole to your home. Check and seal cracks found in windows, doors, roof, electrical lines, and pipes.
- Maintain cleanliness in the kitchen: The stack of eatery ounces lying on the platform can be a feast for ants and insects. Make sure to wipe out kitchen cabinets, cupboards, shelves, etc. with a damp cloth and liquid soap on a regular basis. Also, keep the practice of sweeping out the clutter lying on the platform and floor right after you’re done with cooking and eating.
- Keep firewood away: Keeping firewood near the house can invite unwelcomed wild-life species and insects to dwell. Especially pests such as termites and beetles that feed on the cellulose of wood can easily enter the premises. There are chances that the snakes and rodents might find their shelter in firewood. To prevent their entry, it is better to keep firewood 20 to 30 meters away from the house.
- Don’t let your pet be host to pest: Fleas and ticks easily get on our pet’s skin and make their way to our home. While their food is an attraction to cockroaches and rodents. These pests can cause severe allergies and diseases to us with their bites or traces. You must follow a few practices to keep your pet’s belongings clean. Shake the bed well before your pet makes their way to bed and cleanse it every two weeks.
- Insect-proof your closet: Bugs love to stay in the gloomy, warm, less interfered environment. You may have one corner in your closet that is not accessed for a long time. There are chances of the existence of bugs, silkworms, and clothe worms in your wardrobe. Clean your cabinets and closet regularly. You can also place pest repellent balls such as naphtha balls or mothballs beneath clothes.
- Install chimney cap: Chimneys are the desirable place for birds, raccoons, squirrels, and other animals to build their nests. This gives them access to your house. Their nesting material can cause a fire in a chimney. Employing a chimney cap will prevent their entry and avoid the damage due to it.
Reach out for professional help! It might happen despite trying all pest prevention tips; you may still encounter with pests. Then you must reach out for professional help and call your nearest residential pest control service. Since they are the ones specialized and knowledgeable in this field, they will help you fix pest problems. They will guide you with the latest treatments to eradicate pests from your home.
When people find their homes and offices infested with pests, it is not uncommon for them to panic. Raymond Web has taken the task to educate people on pest prevention and control strategies helping them keep their surroundings healthy, safe and pest-free. Being the digital marketing manager for Take Care Termite and Pest Control, in Tracy, CA, he has in-depth understanding of people and their pain points due to pests, which he efficiently uses in his content to educate people and add value to their lives.