Many of us opt to hit the gym to burn out the accumulated fat while others take the extra mile to buy slimming products to meet their body goals. On second thought, who wouldn’t want to rock in a summer outfit? Even though those means might work, they come with lots of hustle and disadvantages too. But how lucky we are that there is a better option to meet or even exceed expectations.
How Does the Keto Diet Work?
A keto diet is pretty low in carbs but high in fat. It incorporates fewer carbohydrates and replaces it with fat, which is broken down by the body to get energy. The reduction of carbohydrate consumption places one’s body in a metabolic state known as ketosis. Moreover, the fat is converted to ketones, which all happens in the liver to distribute energy to the brain. It sounds like an all-round solution, right?
How to Start Keto Diet
For someone who is not interested in fatty foods or not willing to cut their carb intake, the keto diet plan can be quite stressful in the first days. It is a fuzzy expedition from your current eating habit (an average American diet has plenty of carbohydrates). So, how do you get ready to visit different shelves at the local store to fill your fridge or, rather, for the transition that your body will experience? Consider the following;
- Know what can you eat on the keto diet;
- Analyze your body’s reaction to fats —keto diet includes lots of them;
- Change your mentality on protein because it is less included;
- Better your way around the kitchen;
- Enlighten your family and friends on your intended changes and the goals you plan to achieve;
- Know what is in store in terms of side effects;
- Pen down a strategic plan—keto dieting isn’t meant for the long-run.
Keto Diet Food List
Some individuals falsely think that a keto diet is limited, but once you do your homework well, you’ll realize how many options you have at your disposal. In the beginning, it might be uncomfortable, but once you kick in the new system, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from your new diet. It is crucial to check on your choice of healthy fats since they are the basis of keto. To maintain the ketosis state, high consumption of fats is vital. However, they alone cannot sustain the body, and so other foods have to be included:
- Fats and oils – the best option for this category would be: butter/ghee, mayonnaise, coconut oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, sesame seed oil, and walnut oil. Each serving should be 1 tablespoon. However, stay away from peanut oil, corn oil, soybean oil, and sunflower oil.
- Nuts and seeds –macadamias, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and cashew nuts.
- Dairy products – natural Greek yogurt, hard cheese, heavy cream, and whole milk would be a great choice. Avoid low-fat milk because of the high level of carbs and sugar.
- Proteins – your selection should include pork, beef, fish, poultry, eggs, lamb, goat, and organ meats (heart, liver, kidneys). Things to avoid in this category are hotdogs and pepperoni.
- Carbohydrates – it is advised to pick your carbs from vegetables and fruits. The wide range of veggies includes: cooked (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, mushroom) and raw (spinach, cucumbers, lettuce). The appropriate choice of fruits would be avocados, berries, cherries, and melon. Wheat products, starchy foods, processed foods, sweets, and candy are prohibited and do not fall under the keto diet food list.
Do you know that with all the options, someone can still hit a dead end? Worry not, as there is a solution for that too. Since to err is human, we can consume an inappropriate food to satisfy our craving and fail to meet the required state of metabolism. Some supplements can substitute and bring you back to your ketosis state.
Even though plain water is the best choice to quench your thirst, there are other drinks for the keto diet. They include coffee, tea, lemon juice, club soda, and bone broth. For party people, alcohol isn’t an exception, so please hold your horses. The likes of gin, brandy, tequila, scotch, and vodka can all be enjoyed freely.
Keto Diet Recipes
Cooking skills can set you in a good position. You can decide to combine different ingredients from the keto diet food list to make a complete meal. A few of the examples are:
- Steamed cabbage with grilled pork
- Roast beef with cauliflower mash
- Scrambled egg and greens sauce.
The meals can have great textures and taste with the inclusion of keto spices and dressings. Some of these include mustard, soy sauce, and vinegar. The meals should be well balanced, and most of the keto diet calories should come from proteins.
A couple of people assert that keto diet results aren’t pleasing, but they should not ignore the benefits that it brings. Weight loss, reduced insulin levels, reduced blood sugar, and lowering blood pressure are all good news. What is your general idea of keto dieting? Have you tried it before? If so, how were your outcomes? If not, would you attempt? Please drop us a comment!